Weighted Twisting Crunch (on bench)
The Weighted Twisting Crunch on a bench is a fantastic exercise that targets your abdominal muscles while also engaging your obliques. By adding weight to this exercise, you can increase the intensity and challenge your core muscles even more. To perform a Weighted Twisting Crunch on a bench, start by lying down on a flat bench with your knees bent and your feet planted firmly on the ground. Hold a dumbbell or a weight plate with both hands close to your chest, engaging your abdominal muscles. From this starting position, exhale and contract your abs to lift your upper body off the bench, curling your torso upwards. At the same time, twist your upper body to one side, aiming to bring your opposite elbow towards the knee of the same side. Keep your lower back pressed against the bench throughout the movement. Slowly lower your body back down to the starting position while inhaling. Repeat the movement on the other side, twisting your upper body in the opposite direction. Continue alternating sides for the desired number of repetitions. Including the Weighted Twisting Crunch on a bench in your workout routine can help strengthen and tone your core muscles, enhancing your overall stability and improving your posture. Don't forget to start with a weight that challenges you but still allows you to maintain proper form. As you progress, you can gradually increase the weight to continue challenging your core muscles.
- Lie down on a bench with your feet flat on the ground
- Hold a dumbbell or weight plate on your chest with both hands
- Keep your arms extended and parallel to the ground throughout the exercise
- Engage your abs and lift your upper body off the bench while simultaneously twisting your torso to one side
- Pause for a moment at the top of the movement and squeeze your abs
- Slowly lower your upper body back down to the starting position while maintaining control
- Repeat the exercise, twisting your torso to the opposite side
- Continue alternating sides for the desired number of repetitions
Tips & Tricks
- Engage your core muscles throughout the entire exercise to maximize its effectiveness.
- Slowly twist your torso to the side while maintaining control and stability.
- Exhale as you contract your abs and crunch forward, lifting your upper body off the bench.
- Avoid using momentum or swinging your body to perform the exercise – focus on using your abdominal muscles.
- Use a weight that challenges you but allows you to maintain proper form and technique.
- Start with lighter weights and gradually increase the resistance over time to continue challenging your muscles.
- Ensure that your lower back is supported and remains in contact with the bench throughout the movement.
- Perform the exercise in a slow and controlled manner, focusing on the mind-muscle connection.
- Always warm up before attempting heavy or intense weighted twisting crunches to prevent injuries.
- Listen to your body and modify the exercise if you experience any discomfort or pain.