Plyo Push Up
The Plyo Push Up, also known as the Plyometric Push Up, is a challenging and dynamic upper body exercise that targets the chest, shoulders, triceps, and core muscles. This explosive variation of the traditional push up adds an element of power and intensity to your workout routine. To perform the Plyo Push Up, you start in a high plank position with your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Lower your body towards the ground by bending your arms, just like in a regular push up. However, as you push back up, you explosively push off the ground with enough force to lift your hands off the floor. In mid-air, quickly reposition your hands and softly land back into the starting position to immediately begin the next repetition. The Plyo Push Up is an excellent exercise to incorporate into your training regimen if you are looking to improve upper body strength, power, and cardiovascular endurance. This explosive movement engages your fast-twitch muscle fibers, which are essential for generating forceful movements. Moreover, it also enhances your core stability as you must stabilize your body during the rapid push-off and landing. However, it is crucial to note that Plyo Push Ups are an advanced exercise that requires a good foundation of upper body strength and stability. If you are a beginner or have any underlying shoulder or wrist issues, it's recommended to focus on mastering regular push ups and gradually progress towards more challenging variations like the Plyo Push Up. Always prioritize proper form and listen to your body to prevent injury. Incorporate Plyo Push Ups into your routine to add variety and increase intensity, but remember to approach them with caution and respect your own limits.
- Start in a high plank position, with your hands directly under your shoulders and your body in a straight line.
- Lower your chest towards the ground by bending your elbows, while simultaneously jumping your hands off the ground.
- Push explosively with your hands, propelling your upper body off the ground.
- Land with soft elbows, absorbing the impact, and immediately lower yourself back into the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Tips & Tricks
- Engage your core throughout the exercise for stability and proper form.
- Start with modified push-ups if you are new to plyo push-ups.
- Focus on explosive power and speed when pushing off the ground.
- Land softly and absorb the impact by bending your elbows as you come back down.
- Maintain a proper alignment by keeping your body in a straight line from head to toe.
- Perform the exercise on a stable surface to minimize the risk of injury.
- Gradually increase the intensity by adding more reps or sets over time.
- Take short breaks between each set to allow your muscles to recover.
- Combine plyo push-ups with other upper body exercises to create a well-rounded workout routine.
- Listen to your body and adjust the difficulty level as needed to prevent overexertion.