90 to 90 Stretch
The 90 to 90 stretch is a versatile exercise that targets multiple muscle groups, providing flexibility and mobility benefits. This stretch primarily focuses on the hips, glutes, and lower back. It's a great exercise for individuals who spend long hours sitting or have tight hip muscles. To perform the 90 to 90 stretch, you begin by sitting on the floor with one leg bent at a 90-degree angle in front of you and the other bent at a 90-degree angle to the side. The front leg should have the foot pointing straight ahead and the knee directly over the ankle. The other leg should be positioned with the knee directly over the hip and the foot pointing behind you. This stretch can be modified to accommodate different flexibility levels and can be done using props like cushions or yoga blocks for support. It can also be performed seated on a chair for those who find sitting on the floor challenging. By adjusting the angles of your legs and the distance between them, you can target specific areas of tightness. Regularly incorporating the 90 to 90 stretch into your workout routine can help improve hip mobility, increase flexibility in the hips, glutes, and lower back, and alleviate discomfort caused by tight muscles. Remember to warm up before attempting this exercise and breathe deeply while holding the stretch to enhance its effectiveness. Add it to your daily routine for a greater range of motion and improved overall mobility. Note: It's always important to listen to your body and modify exercises as needed. If you experience any pain or discomfort during this stretch or any other exercise, please consult with a fitness professional or a physician.
- Sit on the floor with both legs extended in front of you.
- Bend one knee and place the foot on the floor, with the knee pointing outwards.
- Rotate your body towards the bent leg and position your opposite forearm on the outside of the bent knee.
- Bend your other knee, bringing the foot towards your glute.
- Keep your back straight and engage your core.
- Hold this position for 15-30 seconds, feeling a stretch in your hips and glutes.
- Repeat on the other side.
Tips & Tricks
- Focus on proper form and alignment to maximize the stretch.
- Increase the time you hold each stretch gradually over time.
- Remember to breathe deeply and relax into each stretch.
- Incorporate the 90 to 90 stretch into your regular flexibility routine to improve overall mobility.
- Listen to your body and adjust the intensity of the stretch accordingly.
- Engage your core muscles to maintain stability throughout the stretch.
- Consider using props such as yoga blocks or bolsters to support your body in the correct position.
- If you feel any pain or discomfort during the stretch, ease off and consult with a professional.
- Combine the 90 to 90 stretch with other complementary stretches to target multiple muscle groups.
- Dedicate a specific time in your workout routine for stretching to ensure consistency and progress.